Monday, November 16, 2015

RN Orientation week 2

Monday: Since I had the issues during my first week and ended up missing some of orientation I had to make it up. So I got to spend most of the day in an office with another new hire watching videos and talking to insurance people. Not very exciting, but it needed to be done.

Tuesday: My only day off for the week!!!  And I enjoyed it:)

Wednesday: FIRST DAY ON THE FLOOR!!!!  I completely lucked out and got an AMAZING nurse preceptor, she is super sweet and laid back. I was just shadowing and helping all day. I really didn't take care of one patient, instead I just learned the schedule and some special charting. I performed a few assessments, discharged a patient and admitted a patient, and actually got to perform some skills on some patients that I only did in school. It was really nice to just do things and get the experience, I just cannot wait to put it all together and have a full day flow so nicely.

Oh and I should mention here that it would not be a great day for my first EVER floor shift as a nurse if something completely off the wall did not happen.......

We had a tornado warning that was in effect for pretty much the whole day!!

Thursday: I got to spend half the day in the computer lab training a little more and then I got to spend the entire afternoon going over paper work and policies with my floor manager and nurse educator. It was a super long day that I was not expecting so I was exhausted and my brain was fried by the time I got to leave.

Friday: Second day on the floor.  She gave me two patients right away. I basically cared for two patients all day on my own {ok so I asked about a billion questions, she had to help me chart a ton, & she had to mention something I forgot to look at}. I ended up admitting another patient {so I had 3 at one point} and then I discharged one. It was a very busy day and I felt lost at times, but I stayed positive and just kept going.

I worked with an AMAZING CA {nurses aid} that had been a CA for about 15-20 years. She was totally awesome and so very helpful to me, she even taught me how to do some things. At the end of the day {in front of my preceptor} my CA told me that I had her fooled all day and she was convinced I was a nurse somewhere else and that I was just changing hospitals. My preceptor even praised me!

I left feeling so amazing and proud and confident and EXHAUSTED!!!!

My weekend was FREE so I spent it relaxing as much as I could with a preschooler and a messy house.

So here is to another week of awesome! A week of me being totally confident and taking on 3-4 patients a shift. A week of me getting my day to flow just right. A week of me getting used to working so much. A week of me perfecting charting skills. A week of me learning way more.











No comments: